The Beginning Part 1 (Originally written in 2009)

The beginning.

Ok, I guess the best way to start this off is to give a little background information about myself. I am a pretty simple kind of girl. I was top of my class in high school, College is no different. School is pretty much all I know. I have always been a person that loved to learn and school is always fun to me. In college I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life until my second year, and then I decided on Communications because I love interacting, communicating, and working together with other people. My ultimate career goal would be an Event Coordinator for some huge public relations firm in a big city. I like to dream big.

I come from a very small town with families that have been there for generations and everyone knows everyone. I had a really good childhood, I guess you could say a little on the spoiled side but I think I turned out ok.  I never missed school when I was younger, was always the healthy one, and always extremely active by playing all the sports I could. I have a good circle of friends that I have known my whole life, as well as some great new ones I met in college. Friends and family are very important to me and always come first, even before myself most of the time. When it comes to the needs of others, they are always first priority. I feel like every thing is in place but life is not supposed to be this easy; my life is too easy something has to be coming. I am flying through college with ease, my friends and family are all doing so well, and I have a wonderful boyfriend that loves me to death. What could possible go wrong? Here goes!

My boyfriend and I decided to take a break for a little while. Well I guess you could say I decided we needed to take a break. It seems like we fight all the time and are starting to grow apart. This decision is extremely difficult. One of the hardest things I have to do, but I think it is for the best. When It finally happened and I broke up with him it was heart breaking, but I want to see what else is out there and where I can go on my own. He was my first serious boyfriend and I am not ready for a “forever” commitment. He really is a great guy, and I know I take him for granted sometimes, but I need to move on. I am ready to take on the world and I can’t do that while holding on to something that isn’t making me happy. These thoughts soon become irrelevant as I start to experience things within my body that have never happened before.

Simultaneously, sand volleyball season has started up, I am so excited to get out and start playing. It’s always so much fun. Everyone I know plays and good times are always had!  Once we got going, I felt like I hadn’t played in years! I am so out of shape I can hardly catch my breath while playing; at least that’s what I blame it on. After a few weeks of this constant feeling of having just smoked a pack of cigarettes, even though I’ve never smoked a day in my life I am starting to worry. I play volleyball three to four nights a week regularly. With this level of activity I thought I also developed this sore muscle under my arm that just would not go away. After weeks of contemplating my awkward symptoms,  I have decided to tell my mom about it then we scheduled a doctor’s appointment. I don’t think anything of it, honestly I think I am just being a baby and need to suck it up. I haven’t told any of my friends what was going on, I am already labeled as the whiner  as it is, so why bring more attention to the fact that I actually am. It’s best to avoid that situation all together.

Before I know it, it is time to go and talk to the doctor about these crazy symptoms I have been having and how I just feel wrong. My main complaint to the Doctor is the fact that I have chest pains every time I breathe and it worsens with higher levels of activity. She uses her stethoscope and listens to my breathing for a second. I don’t even think I am in there for more the 10 minutes before I am right back out the door. Apparently I just have a mild case of pleurisy and it should go away with time and Ibuprofen. She had no worry in her voice; she almost seemed to be mocking me for even coming in. So off I go with my prescription of Motrin 800 and that is that!

A week or two has by and I am not getting better. What the heck is going on? This thing under my arm seems to be getting more painful. My breathing has not gotten better, and to top it all off I have this excruciating pain in my lower right hand side of my torso. I am having a hard time getting around. I feel like I am 80 years old, and I am starting to look like it too. My face is ghost white, I am hunched over, I can only take a few steps at a time before being exhausted, and I look like I haven’t slept in weeks. Time to schedule another doctor’s appointment, maybe this time she will actually take me seriously. HA! You would think so wouldn’t you?

Round two begins, I go to the doctor’s office, pain emanating from my side, I am hunched over looking like death, and again she just brushes it off as nothing. By now she is probably sick of me complaining. I know I am tired of hearing my own voice as well. To shut me up she decides to get some blood work done this time (moving on up!) So I am on my way to get some blood out of my arm.

Getting blood drawn is an interesting experience. It is my first time every doing it, so I am a little nervous. The lab is just across the hall from the doctor’s office so with a short walk I arrived. I wait in a line with a few nice old people before I am led into the room, and directed to sit in a very unappealing chair. My heart started racing. I have no idea what to expect. In comes the nurse with a box full of needles and tubes. She took out about 6 different tubes for all the tests that were ordered. Though I am nervous I cant help but be extremely curious. So I ask all kinds of questions and have them explain the entire process to me. The nurses kind of look at me funny when I mention this was the first time. Once briefed, they start by poking my right arm. Not so bad… But no blood is coming out, so they start moving the needle around, which is not very pleasant at all! I mention that I am left-handed thinking that might change something. I was right. The nurse poked my left arm and it is smooth sailing from here. After the tubes were filled, the needle was pulled out of my elbow crease, and I have my band-aid secure I am told the results would be available in a few days and if anything is abnormal I will receive a phone call.

All there is left to do now… is wait.


One thought on “The Beginning Part 1 (Originally written in 2009)

  1. Pingback: A Story Worth Reading… « sarajanelle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s